My identity as a teacher





Quito, julio 1 de 2017 Photo by @gerarldauc


"Everybody is a genius. 
But if you judge a fish 
by its ability to climb a tree,
 it will live its whole life believing
 that it is stupid" Albert Einstein


A question difficult to responds is, what is your professional identity? If you try to answer, I am sure that you are thinking much about yourself. But first, I would like to share a concept of identity according to Palmer., (2010) who said that “identity is a nexus where all the forces and that constitute the life converge in the mystery of self”. Well, I am going to try to answer this question through deepen about myself, and maybe, I will die trying it.  

I conceive that the best option is to perform a retrospective about my university career. During undergraduate studies, I had the opportunity to know certain characteristic about me, and my teachers who were raised up my interest about science and the teaching. With respect to characteristics, I realized that I am responsible, because, I always presented my assignments, although I sometimes received unfavorable grades. I refused any injustice with my partners or if I looked something strange between teacher and students, for instance I always looked for the equality in the groups of study. On the other hand, about those teachers, I observed the passion of them to teach or trying to explain a topic, for me it was incredible. For example, I recall that Sebastian Robalino who was my teacher, he did all slides with own animations about topics of molecular biology. Another teacher called Ricardo Oliva, his explaining was great, but classes were short. His assignments were entertaining that it did not matter, if it was difficult, simply, we did it.  From my point of view, those experiences were which set me for my professional identity.

When I finished all semesters, I did my thesis in United States, there I learned about how to be resilient and I realized that I tried to be perfectionist but instead of an advantage, it was a disadvantage in my daily performance. Otherwise, I understood that I was insecure. When I finished my thesis, I talked with my adviser, and she recommended me that I needed to leave my insecure and an interesting idea could be that I taught in any institution. Finally, I left the university and I started to teach. I need to clarify that my professional identity is related to the teaching. It started when I had the opportunity to teach Chemistry at the Central University and mathematics at high school. It was a short experience being teacher. Likewise, an extra motivation to teach was that my brother is teacher at University. 

From my perspective being teacher, I always try to be a motivator to my students. Because, I consider that if they were motivated, they learn any topic. For that, I always looked for the chance to capture the attention of them. 
With respect to the equality and justice inside the class. I consider that I am a leader, but why a leader? Because I consider that a leader is a person who share the activities among their team while consider the opinions. But specially showing its attitude and fitness with the example. Similarly, I attempted to maintain the equality and justice with coherence and with activities for all. Moreover, I could delegate extra activities without preference. 
When a student had any annoyance, I could be a listener, inasmuch as I always had time to listening to my student. Thus, I could talk with them and carry any concern to dialogue and to find a solution in class. 
Likewise, I was a demanding teacher, since that during my studies I had never feared, if I faced with a demanding teacher. Although, I was not the best in the class. I enjoyed the challenging of that teacher. In fact, in front of my students, I was convinced to show me in this way, since, the effort is more important that the scores. Thus, my intention was to consider their effort. 
Nevertheless, I had also difficult during my short period being teacher at the university, for instance, some students believed that I had preference for certain group the student or in particular case they believe that I was interested in some girl, because I was a young teacher. Therefore, it was a difficult to switch that idea in the minds of my students, although I always showed respect and the same relationship to all my students. Then, I consider that I need to improve this identity about me. 

Finally, during my classes I worked with some tools to improve the understanding of my students. Since, I always look for being authentic, both for my explanations or my slides. In a future, I hope to become a teacher with a solid professional identity. 

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

MONTERREY- VISTA DESDE UN DEPARTAMENTO